Our Church History

   

Lisbon Baptist Church was originally founded in 1889 when nine people began meeting as a Church in the Lisbon School House. In 1899 a new building was built adjacent to the school and the Church met there until 1953. With Georgia Highway 85 having been paved just four years prior, a new church building was constructed. Since then many building programs have resulted in what is now Lisbon Baptist Church. Recent land purchases will allow our Church body to continue growing and doing God's work.  
 
Highlights in the History of Lisbon Baptist Church . . .  
 
1889: Church is founded; congregation meets in the Lisbon School House near the present day intersection of Goza and Bernhard Roads  
 
1899: First building constructed next to Lisbon School  
 
December 1925: Regular preaching changed to “the fourth Sunday, and Saturday before”   
 
1938: Building improvements made by installing pillars and doorsteps  
 
July 9, 1939: Church votes to have electricity installed, adding $1.00 per month to Church expenses  
 
June 13, 1948: Church votes to move Homecoming from the second Sunday to the fourth Sunday in May; that date has since been moved to the third Sunday in May  
 
1949: Georgia Hwy 85 is first paved  
 
September 13, 1953: New church is dedicated  
 
1956-1962: Sunday school rooms added; new well is bored; land for cemetery is purchased; Pastorium is built  
 
1966: New lighted sign placed in front of church building; building is bricked, drastically changing the appearance  
 
1967: Steeple is added to the church  
 
July 1969: Church calls Rev. Carlton Swicegood as the new Pastor  
 
1970-71: Interior of church remodeled, first baptism performed in the baptismal pool; stained glass windows added  
 
August 25, 1974: Pastor Swicegood called as fulltime Pastor  
 
November 1975: Fellowship Hall completed   
 
May 16, 1982: Church votes to build new building for a cost of $200,000  
 
May 1, 1983: New (current) building is dedicated  
 
March 1999: Pastor Swicegood retires after 30 years of service  
 
September 1999: Dr. Randall Harris is called as fulltime Pastor after having served as Interim Pastor since April 1999  
 
August 2000: Church takes out a loan to purchase the Kerlin property directly behind the church  
 
March 2002: Church takes out loan to purchase the Williams property behind the church; combined with Kerlin purchase, the land will allow for future Church growth can have this hope today, and we would love to share this with you.